Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Appointment Day Dinner

I was so proud of myself yesterday. My daughter had an appointment right as I was getting off work. So for once I organized myself and made the most delectable quiche. It was cooked and waiting for us when we came home. I had planned to leave it on the counter so it was room temperature when we got home, I forgot it in the fridge. Baby steps, right? No problem I just warmed it up in the oven for a few minutes while I threw together a salad. Since I follow a low carb approach to eating this quiche had it all! Sauteed onions, bacon, real cream, real cheese. The whole nine yards! First words out of my daughter's mouth? "What is that?" That was my clue. In that moment I should have known I would be eating the whole quiche by myself. My daughter takes picky eater to a new level. But I was sure of myself, I had it together. Who doesn't like quiche? Two bites later I was microwaving a burrito as I slipped her barely touched piece off her plate. Oh well...

My recipe was a spin off of one of Ree Drummond's recipes. Her orginal recipe can be found here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/06/cowboy-quiche/

I added a low carb almond crust which honestly overcooked while I was trying to get the quiche to cook through. Below is the filling recipe I actually used, I recommend making this crust free if you are low carb. I have never in my life made a traditional pie crust from scratch but if you are more talented and braver than I am you could try that. Of course it sort of kills the low carb claims of this dish.


So blogging lesson #1:Taking a picture of food that truly conveys all its glorious fabulousness is super hard. I will work on it.  Thank you for your patience ( and any good tips you may have)

To make this lovely quiche you need:
1 small onion
1Tbs butter
8 slices of bacon
8 eggs
3/4 cups heavy cream
3/4 cups half and half
8oz Comte cheese ( I bought mine at Costco)
a dash pf black pepper

Peel and slice your onion thinly. I used my food processor's slicing blade to get very thin slices. Melt your butter over medium low heat then add your onions. You want to caramelize your onions which takes a while, make sure you stir them from time to time so they brown all over. Cook your bacon. I cooked mine on paper towels in the microwave and it turned out perfect.My rule of thumb is to set the microwave to one minute for each slice of bacon plus 30 seconds so three slices would cook for 3 minutes and 30 seconds etc... Your microwave may vary. Once the bacon is cooked crisp but not over cooked crumble it. You could use a knife if you want but I just used my nice clean hands. Once your bacon and onions are ready let them both cool. Meanwhile shred your cheese. Again I used my food processor. Spray a nine inch pie pan with cooking spray and assemble your onions, bacon and cheese in the pan. You could do this neatly in layers or dump it all in and mix it around the way I did. I sprinkled my peper on top at this point. Now take a large bowl...did I say large? I mean it, or you will have a big mess, not that I would know because I certainly wasn't cleaning an egg and cream mixture off my counter and food processor. As I said take a large bowl and crack your eggs into it. Whisk your eggs to break the yolks then add your cream and half and half and whisk again until this is a smooth solidly colored liquid. Pour this mixture into your pie pan. If bits of cheese and bacon are sticking up push them down below the surface. Again you can use a spoon but I just used my finger  ( I do wash my hands a lot). Cover your pie pan with foil and cook for about 50 minutes, uncover it and cook another 10 to 15 minutes. Around the 10 minute mark start checking the quiche frequently and take it out when it is nicely browned all over the top. Cool the quiche and serve it room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment