Thursday, January 29, 2015

Potsticker Stuffed Mushrooms



As a child I remember my parents having guests over. They would put out all these tasty little appetizers and allow my brother and I to fill our plates before we were sent off to watch TV upstairs. My favorite among my mother's delicacies were the stuffed mushrooms.  As an adult I figured out stuffed mushrooms can be a good bit of work and often have bread crumbs or crackers in them, making them tasty but not not low carb.  Well as I thought about the snacks for Super Bowl 2015 I knew there had to be stuffed mushrooms in the mix, I wanted them to be easy and low carb. Voila! Potsticker Stuffed Mushrooms were born.



Potsticker Stuffed Mushrooms
You will need:
1 8oz package of whole mushrooms ( cleaned and stems removed)
1/2 pound ground pork
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 Tsp ground ginger (not dried)
1 green onion (sliced thinly)
1 Tsp sesame oil
1 Tsp soy sauce

Heat the oven to 350 degree spray a baking dish with cooking spray and lay your mushrooms on it stem side up.  Mix all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Careful scoop your meat mixture into the mushroom caps so that they are stuffed generously. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

I served this with a simple dipping sauce which I of course did not remember to take a picture of. Sorry! You can serve this without the sauce but the sauce really gives you the potsticker experience without the carbs.

Dipping Sauce
You will need:
1 Tbsp sodium soy sauce
1/2 Tsp sesame oil
1 Tsp Splenda or sweetener of your choice
garlic powder and red pepper flake to taste

Mix all ingredients in a small ramekin. I encourage you to taste this as some people may find the soy sauce strong if that occurs try adding 1Tsp  of water or consider using a low sodium soy sauce.

Makes 8 servings: 87calories and about 1carb each (I rounded up)

Stop back later today for my Super Bowl ready garlic bread balls!



No comments:

Post a Comment