Monday, January 19, 2015

Apricot Spiced Pork Steaks


My daughter and I did the what's for dinner dance again today. When I told her we were having pork steaks she said "We're eating a lot of meat recently." Uh kid you don't eat vegetables, pasta, rice, potatoes, most lunch meats, soup and about one million other things but you do eat meat. If I make something else you won't eat. I love that kid to death but I am not always able to keep up with her thought process. I decided not to go there and just told her it worked with my diet and she said "ok" and wandered off. Works for me!

If you have never seen a pork steak, this is what you are looking for.

Pork steaks were completely unfamiliar to me until just a year or so ago. I found them in the store and they were inexpensive so I thought "Why Not?".  why not indeed! They quickly became a family favorite. They can be cooked up quickly, and can seasoned a million different ways.  I like that they stay moist and often are large enough to split one steak among a few people. I often serve these with some steamed veggies and a fruit salad for my daughter.





Spiced Pork Steaks
You will need:
1-2 pounds of pork steaks
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tsp cinnamon
1/2 Tsp ground black pepper
1Tsp Splenda
2 Tbsp sugar free apricot preserves

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking ban with foil and grease it with cooking spray. Mix the Garlic, Cinnamon, Black Pepper and Splenda together. Sprinkle the spice mixture on both sides of the pork steak. Lay the pork steaks in the pan and bake for about 20 minutes. Melt the apricot preserves. I do this in a small Pyrex custard cup in the microwave. Brush the half preserves on the pork steak and return to the oven for ten minutes. Flip the steaks over and brush with the remaining preserves. Return to the oven for 10 additional minutes. Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment